Wednesday, August 15, 2012

7 a.m. on 5th Street


     Most artists agree that early morning is a beautiful time to capture a scene. Occasionally on Sunday mornings, I'll head out with my camera and a coffee in search of an interesting subject for my "next watercolor". As I drove through a neighborhood near downtown Roanoke, I happened to glance to the left and saw the sun shining on the fronts of these closely lined up houses. A very unassuming scene, made magical because of the light.
     I exaggerated it a bit more, as we artists are apt to do. Salt and sprays of water helped me achieve the texture of the road. Overall size is 13 x 20. I'm happy to say this painting won an Award of Distinction in the 2012 Virginia Watercolor Society show, and an Award of Merit in the Virginia Highlands Juried Exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment