Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Joy of Sketching





     Make no mistake, I love creating full-scale studio watercolor paintings, but it's my travel sketchbooks that are dearest to my heart.
     I create my own by cutting down sheets of watercolor paper into manageable page sizes (6x8 or so) and have them spiral bound at the local office supply store. To me, each trip warrants its own sketchbook... sometimes it's 6 pages, sometimes it's 20. I wait to decorate the cover once I'm home and have time to reflect on the flavor of the trip.
     Here's a peek at a sketchbook I completed last fall in Italy. It's 7.5" x 8" and has 18 pages. The cover is white mat board that I covered with an old piece of rice pager and then painted and glued the circular design on the cover. (That design was inspired from a beautiful ceramic table top that I saw in a shop.)

No comments:

Post a Comment